Young scientists (Master and PhD level) can apply for financial assistance for participation in conferences, workshops, etc..
- The application deadline for the first half of the year is March 31,
- The application deadline for the second half of the year is September 30.
The application procedure should include name, organization, address of the applicant and the supervisor; also the name of the conference title and type of presentation (paper, poster), Summary of the presentation, as well as a rough budget is mandatory (please indicate how the total financing is covered) and a motivation for the requested of the support by SGS has to be specified.
The SGS wishes that the the organization is mentioned with its name and logo on the poster or talk.
Please send your application as a PDF to the and the .
Supported conference contributions
- Poster: “Assessing provenance, exposure timing and emplacement processes of large exotic boulders in central Himalayan river valleys” by Marius Huber [EGU Galileo Conference: Perturbations of earth surface dynamics caused by extreme events, Kathmandu, Nepal]
- Talk: “Rise of the Ethiopian forest” and Poster: ” Keeping up with hydrology during the Messinian salinity crisis” by Julia Krawielicki International Meeting of Organic Geochemistry (IMOG), Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Poster: “Rock glacier kinematics derived from UAV surveys: validation and accuracy assessment” and Talk “Debris-covered glacier and rock glacier kinematics in the Andes (30°S), documented by 64 years of remote sensing and field observations” by Sebastián Vivero Southern Hemisphere Conference on Permafrost (SouthCOP), Queenstown, New Zealand.
- Talk: “Dust sources on Free State croplands” by Heleen Vos
- Poster: “ Inverted fluvial networks in the Antoniadi crater, Mars: A sedimentological and paleohydrological investigation” by Abdallah S. Zaki [ European Planetary Science Congress (EPSC), Geneva, Switzerland
- Poster: “Simulation of Natural Winds in A Porable Wind Tunnel” by Claudio Fabbri [Xth International Conference on Aeolian Research, Bordeaux]
- Talk: “Influence of morphodynamics and earth surface processes on alpine vegetation in the Western Swiss Alps” by Elisa Giaccone [European Geoscience Union Conference (EGU)]
- Talk: ”Geomorphic evolution of eastern Tibet: sedimentology and thermochronology perspectives” by Loraine Gourbet [130th Annual Meeting of The Geological Society of America in Indianapolis (GSA2018)]
- Talk: “Connectivity and sediment transfer at the front of active rock glaciers” by Mario Kummert [5th European Conference on Permafrost (EUCOP5)]
- Poster: “Early Oligocene exhumation and syncollisional volcanism in the Central Alps as revealed by combined FT and U-Pb analysis of detrital zircons in the Northern Alpine Foreland Basin” by Gang Lu [American Geophysical Union (AGU) Meeting in Washington, D.C.]
- Participation: at the 5th Exomars ISS Workshop by Yeardana Meister [5th Exomars ISS Workshop, Leicester]
- Poster: “Linking ice flow dynamics to the development of downwasting features on a debris-covered glacier“ by Nico Mölg [Journées des jeunes géomorphologues, Lyon]
- Talk: “Using Cosmogenic Nuclides to Evaluate the Role of Coseismic Landsliding on Measured Erosion Rates Following the Mw 7.8 Gorkha Earthquake, Nepal” by Kaherine Schide [American Geophysical Union (AGU) Meeting in Washington, D.C.]
- Talk: “Optical and geochemical analysis of the tephra layers from the Hinkelsmaar (Eifel region, Western Germany)” by Martina Vögtli [MAAR Conference, Spain]
- Poster: “Use of Cosmogenic Nuclide 10Be Concentrations for Estimating Rates of Escarpment Retreat” by Yanyan Wang [European Geoscience Union Conference (EGU)]
- Talk: “Assessing the effect of biochar on erosion using a high precision rainfall simulator” by Nina Goldman [500 CHF]
- Talk: “Sedimentary connection between rock glaciers and torrential channels: definition, inventory and quantification from a test area in the south-western Swiss Alps” by Mario Kummert [500 CHF]
- Poster: “Contrasting Tectonic and Geomorphic Characteristics across the Northern Apennines” by Erica Erlanger [American Geophysical Union (AGU) Meeting in New Orleans, USA] [270 CHF]
- Talk: “Li and Be isotopic evidence for spatially and temporally variable partitioning of denudation during the late Neogene” by Jeremy Kesner Caves Rugenstein [AGU Fall Meeting, 2017, New Orleans, USA] [370 CHF]
- Poster: “Investigating the Buffering Capacity of Mountain Communities to Socio-economic and Natural Shocks” by Jorge Alberto Ramirez [370 CHF]
- Poster: “Testing new methods for assessing the effect of biochar on erosion by using a high precision rainfall simulator” by Marius Mayer [SGmS Meeting in Zermatt VS, CH] [120 CHF]
- Talk: Rates and patterns of Pleistocene rock uplift revealed by dating paleoshorelines on Crete, Greece: Implications for earthquake hazards in the Eastern Mediterranean by Richard Ott [AGU Fall Meeting, 2017, New Orleans, USA] [370 CHF]
- Talk: “Mapping decadal land cover changes in the woodlands of north eastern Namibia using the Landsat satellite archive (1975-2014)” by Vladimir Wingate [Land reform in Namibia, 2015]
- 2 Posters: and by Juliane Krenz [EGU Vienna, 2016]
- Talk: Spatial and temporal variability of the sediment transfer at the front of active rock glaciers, cases studies form the western Swiss Alps by Mario Kummert [International Conference On Permafrost, Potsdam, 2016]
- Poster: The complex pluri-decennial and multiphasic destabilization of the Jegi rock glacier (western Swiss Alps): historical development and ongoing crisis by Alyssa Ghirlanda [International Conference On Permafrost, Potsdam, 2016]
- Poster: Risk evolution in the Richebach torrent from 1890 to 2010 by Irene Kallen [INTERPRAEVENT Luzern, 2016]
- Workshop: Julia Krawielicki [„IsoCamp: a course in stable isotope biogeochemistry and ecology“ an der Universität Utah]
- Talk: Le pergélisol au sud des Alpes Suisses (Tessin) : étude de sept glaciers rocheux et relations avec le climat by Elisa Giaccone [colloque de l’Association Internationale de Climatologie AIC, Besançon, 2016]
- Talk: by Benjamin Fischer and Margreth Keiler [SGmG Jahrestagung 2015]
- Poster: by Elisa Giaccone, Christian Ambrosi, Marco Antognini, Reynald Delaloye, Christophe Lambiel, Stefano Mari, Cristian Scapozza [SGmG Jahrestagung 2015]
- Talk: by Nico Mölg, Tobias Bolch, Frank Paul, Philipp Rastner [IUGG General Assembly, Prague] - Poster -
- Talk: Rockglaciers on the Run – An advanced approach to assess rockglacier evolution by Johann Müller, Isabelle Gärtner-Roer, and Andreas Vieli [7th Canadian Permafrost Conference GEOQuebec, Canada]
- Poster: Separation of dry and wet periods from regular weather station data for the analysis of wind erosion risk by Mohammadali Saremi Naeini , Wolfgang Fister, Gowwin Heckrath, and Nikolaus J. Kuhn [EGU General Assembly 2015, Vienna]
- Talk: Soil water dynamic studies from two Arenosols of North-Central Namibia by Brice Prudat, L. Bloemertz, and N.J. Kuhn [EGU General Assembly 2015, Vienna] - Poster: Ehenge: marginalized soil with high water use efficiency by Brice Prudat, L. Bloemertz, and N.J. Kuhn - Poster: Northern Namibia´s Ehenge: marginal soil with high water use efficiency by Brice Prudat, L. Bloemertz, and N.J. Kuhn - Poster: Land scarcity in Northern Namibia by L. Bloemertz, G. Dobler, O. Graefe, N.J. Kuhn, R. Nghiteveekwa, Brice Prudat, and L. Weidmann
- Poster: Carbon Erosion in the Great Karoo Region of South Africa by Juliane Krenz, Philip Greenwood, Brigitte Kuhn, Ian Foster, John Boardman, Mike Meadows, and Nikolaus Kuhn [EGU General Assembly 2015, Vienna]
- Poster: by Nico Baetz, Pauline Colombini, Paolo Cherubini and Stuart N. Lane [American Geoscience Unition (AGU) fall meeting 2015 in San Francisco] -
- Poster: by Natan Micheletti, Christoph Lambiel and Stuart N. Lane [American Geoscience Unition (AGU) fall meeting 2015 in San Francisco] -
- Talk: by Yaxian Hu and Nikolaus Kuhn [EGU Vienna, 2014]
- Poster: by Yaxian Hu, Wolfgang Fister, and Nikolaus Kuhn [EGU Vienna, 2014]
- Poster: by Yaxian Hu and Nikolaus Kuhn [EGU Vienna, 2014]
- Poster: by Mario Kummert [EUCOP4 – 4th European Conference on Permafrost, 18-21 June 2014, Evora / Portugal]
- Talk: Rockglacier Rheology – by Johann Müller [EUCOP4 – 4th European Conference on Permafrost, 18-21 June 2014, Evora / Portugal]
- Talk: The possible influence of the invasive plant, Impatiens glandulifera (Himalayan Balsam), on the sediment dynamics of inland river systems in temperate regions by Philip Greenwood [Geological Society of America (GSA), 19-23 October, 2014, Vancouver, Canada]
Events, News, Publications
Management of natural risks in Fribourg
Eine Website über die Geomorphologie der Schweizer Alpen. Texte, Fotos und Illustrationen, die die wichtigsten natürlichen Prozesse in Gebirgsregionen erklären, mit Augenmerk auf die Glazial- und die Periglazialgeomorphologie. Lehrmaterial für den Unterricht von Geomorphologie in der Sekundarstufe II.